This is a blog about John, his dog Toby and his furry duck Ducky. Ok seriously, just another RMIT Television blog. Nothing to see here. Moving on now.

Saturday, July 28, 2007

Docu Concept

"I feel slightly more empowered than most students as I’m a mature-aged student so I don’t have to put up with all the childish teenage ways that all adults had to go through. Teenagers are too fucking concerned about what people think of them to see what the fuck is actually happening. Because I’m past that stage, I have noticed lots of interesting facets of life that teenagers fail to see."

This is an area I'm really keen to explore. When asked to elaborate, I cited the rising cost of property prices in Melbourne and young Melburnians' apathy to their empty finance as a prime example.

I've spent the last three months looking for a house and find myself slapped in the face every weekend by the steep cost of property across Melbourne. I'm almost a decade older than all my uni mates, and I'm wondering how much they'll struggle to pay off their own homes in ten years' time.

Yet, alarmingly, these teenagers are completely oblivious to that, choosing instead to spend their hard-earned casual work money on booze and frivolous stuff. 95% of my uni friends under 20 have no money in their bank, with the other 5% more 'mature' ones having in excess of $10,000. Which is good. Pity there aren't more young Australians who possess that habit.

The idea is not set in stone. Perhaps I might focus more on the the activities adults my age USED to do and what they USED to believe was cool. When I look back at the stuff I've done, purchased or committed myself into, I laugh at my silliness. I'd like to use the documentary to give teenage university students an insight into what goes on in the mind of a mature-aged university student.

Couple of good ideas I reckon.

No comments: