This is a blog about John, his dog Toby and his furry duck Ducky. Ok seriously, just another RMIT Television blog. Nothing to see here. Moving on now.

Monday, June 04, 2007

Baz Luhrmann's Australia

I've always wondered why the hell we've got to do so much 'pre-Action!' stuff before the directer screams 'Action!'. The team may have wrapped up production with Hounded and I am aware of the roles each member of the crew plays, but I still think it's unnecessary. Why can't we just say, "OK I AM READY! JUST FUCKING FILM ALREADY!"

Until I saw and heard this audio and visual reel from The Age. I'm quite a history buff, and old iconic scenes and wars interest me a great deal. So imagine my surprise when the reel took all my doubts away and convinced me that all the 'camera ready-slate in-bullshit' was really worth my while.

I know it's stupid, but hey it took something that interests me to be convinced about set etiquette. People learn things their own way and at their own time, and I've justified that reasoning.

Now, get the fucking slate in! LOL.

Off topic, I'm extremely keen on this movie. I'll be keeping a look out for the number of non-Anglos in the movie. Fast forward a century and a half, and Australia today still has traces of the White Australia policy in the form of white supremists. No doubt Pauline Hanson will be flocking to watch this movie.

Somebody needs to tell these people, that pre-2000 was all about colonialization and white people. Post-2000, it's the rise of the Asians. In several decades time the sight of an Asian man in a 'white' country would no longer raise eyebrows. No more asexualised Asian man in the media, and the Asian man will win the girl's heart.

Okay I really am straying away from this television blog.

No comments: