This is a blog about John, his dog Toby and his furry duck Ducky. Ok seriously, just another RMIT Television blog. Nothing to see here. Moving on now.

Sunday, September 30, 2007

OMG the footage, structure and details

Between the three of us, we easily have in excess of six hours of footage. I don't know why we started, or suggested the idea of using three cameras, but I think we really wanted to capture every possible class detail. And making sure it's caught on camera. But in the process we made our editing so much more tedious.

I don't know what the other groups are doing, but surely we are the only group who're using three cameras. Paul has been very accomodating and has allowed me to use my camera, which is awesome 'coz I get to roam around the class with it and get good close-up shots of it.

I have no idea how we're gona sift through so much footage and make a 4-7 minute documentary out of it. I daresay we have enough for a 20 minutes documentary even.

I'm also beginning to find it really difficult to have a 'structure' (for the lack of a better word). In the first semester it was really easy as a short film has a start and an end. In a documentary however it's entirely up to the footage that we capture. That also hinges on the subject's willingness to open him or herself to the camera. I'm glad we have such a great class of students to 'study', as they're really chummy and have, after repeated visits, began to warm up to us.

I can't say I'm looking forward to editing, 'coz between trying to find a 'structure' and finding appropriate shots, it's gona be a lengthy process.

No comments: